× Home

Top Authors Top Articles Why Submit Articles? FAQ

Login Register Forgot password?

Why Appeal to the Most Influential Sense in Your Ads?

By:   |   Jul 08, 2018   |   Views: 10   |   Comments: 0

For any of us to communicate with another person, we must get our message across through one of their five senses. Advertisers, of course, know this. At times the sense of smell is used. You walk by a bakery and decide to stop in and find out what smells so good. The taste test is used for soda drinks or pizza ads. Pictures of food appeal to previous memories of its good taste. Touch is the main seller when people are buying a mattress. Consumers want to lie on it to find out if lying on it would be restful for eight straight hours.

The most influential of all our senses is that of sight. In fact, 80% of all we learn comes in through our eyes. Most of the other 20% is learned through hearing. A radio ad then must capture the consumer's attention through words alone.

With 80% of what we learn entering our eyes, advertisers are wise to center their ads around the visual. If they can add sound, this is even better. Printed ads can be read over and over by many people. They can last longer and for this reason potentially influence more consumers than sound ads alone.

Visual advertisement comes in two forms, words and pictures. Words are abstract for they represent a reality. The word 'house' stands for a dwelling of brick and wood. Words can also stand for products. Slogans have caught on and identify products. One of the most famous was, "Where's the beef?" from the Wendy's ad. Though mainly verbal, that one phrase sold more hamburgers than anyone will ever know.

Rarely will the quantity of words sell an item. Usually it will not be the quantity but the quality that is important. People are busy and always in a hurry. The message of the ad must be succinct and catchy. It must give the message and yet not bore the audience. This is a hard balance.

Humor, when appropriate, is an excellent way to capture the attention of the public. For example, Alaska airlines portrayed their company's strength through exaggerating the competition's weaknesses. It was humorous and kept people watching, and flying with them for several years.

Sometimes the ad is whittled down to just a motto, a logo, or a symbol. These along may associate a particular product to people's needs. The colors of Pepsi without words will sell the product. In other words, the wordless picture is the whole ad.

In summary, good ads use visual and audio, use precise words, and may add a touch of humor. This combination will most likely get the attention of the public. It requires creativity but is achievable. Once this is done, then the company must choose where the ad will appear. Some creative people have put their brief message on a banner and paid to have it flown over a large group of people. This is a banner ad. It effectively gets the concise message to many people at minimal cost. With the added audio of the plane's engine to attract attention, both sight and sound are giving the one-two punch to drive the message home to the consumers.

Was this helpful?
Thank you!
 
 
 
 

More from Alice Mitchell

The Best Product for Dark Circles Under Eyes Attack Three Problems

What if I told you the best product for dark circles under eyes, bags, and wrink...

By: Alice Mitchelll Uncategorizedl Jul 08, 2018 lViews: 68 lComments: 0

The Best Natural Skincare Comes Via Science

I was astounded to find out how much study goes into dermatological products on...

By: Alice Mitchelll Uncategorizedl Jul 08, 2018 lViews: 65 lComments: 0

The Best Firming And Wrinkle Treatment For The Skin

What...

By: Alice Mitchelll Uncategorizedl Jul 08, 2018 lViews: 62 lComments: 0
Add new Comment

* Required fields