Prostate And Other Health Concerns For Men
The prostate is a gland in the male reproductive system just below the bladder. It surrounds part of the urethra, the canal that empties the bladder, and produces a fluid that forms part of semen. It is estimated that more than 234,000 men in the United States will be diagnosed with prostate cancer this year. One in 20 men will die of prostate cancer. With those numbers, it is imperative to know what you can do to prevent becoming a statistic.
What Steps Can Be Taken To Ensure Prostate Health?
- Men who have a diet that is high in red meat with little or no fruits and vegetables are at a higher risk for prostate cancer. Stimulants such as caffeine, coffee and chocolate are also bad for the prostate.
- Never ignore the urge to urinate. The longer you hold toxins in the bladder, the longer those toxins will be in contact with the prostate.
- Drinking purified water is also very important as dehydration stresses the prostate. It is also beneficial for males who have reproductive issues.
- Exercising the prostate through frequent sexual intercourse is beneficial in keeping the prostate from becoming stagnant.
- Colon cleansing as well as bladder cleansing is also very beneficial to maintaining prostate health.
- Regular prostate exams are recommended after age 40 or even younger.
- It is also recommended to have your PSA (Prostate Specific Antigens) levels checked, which can be taken from the blood. PSA levels are an indication of the health of the prostate. The lower the number, the better off you are. Zero of course being the best number to have. Higher numbers may indicate prostate enlargement.
Natural Remedies What Are Beneficial For Prostate Health
- Saw Palmetto is an herb that is very effective in relieving bladder problems. It is also effective in reducing inflammation and spasms in the prostate. Saw Palmetto also inhibits dihydrotestosterone, which causes cells in the prostate to multiply excessively.
- Flax Seed Oil, noted since 1941 for its benefits to the prostate, also improves fertility as well as libido. It also increases energy levels.
- Zinc is very important to prostate health and in maintaining a healthy prostate shape. Supplementation is recommended as 10 to 15 mg. of zinc is lost during each ejaculation.
- Red Root, found in Lymphomax, is helpful in relieving prostate discomfort.
- Nature's Sunshine's Men's Formula is an excellent daily supplement to enhance and protect prostate health.
- Gingko Biloba increases blood flow to the prostate and penis.
- Uva Ursi along with large amounts of Vitamin C is also beneficial for prostate health as it is an excellent bladder detoxifier.
Xenoestrogens are man-made estrogens that can be found in food by-products, plastic, pesticides, household cleaning products, clothes and pharmaceuticals as well as many other sources. These xenoestrogens have a detrimental effect on men's health by causing an overload of estrogen in the body. Recent studies have shown a 600% increase of breast cancer in males as well as a decline in male fertility due to exposure to xenoestrogens. Osteoporosis is also a concern for men due to estrogen dominance.
Another health concern for men due to an overload of estrogen in the body is Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia or BPH. BPH is defined as an abnormal increase in the size of the prostate and has typically been seen in middle-aged to elderly men. Today, due to exposure to xenoestrogens, BPH is being found in men in their early 20's and even males in their teens.
As the prostate grows larger, it pressure against the bladder and urethra causing symptoms such as urinary frequency, urinary hesitancy and resistance which can lead to urinary tract infections.
Natural Ways To Combat Xenoestrogens
- First and foremost, limit your exposure as much as possible by avoiding products which contain xenoestrogens.
- Using DHEA-M, an excellent nutritional supplement from Nature's Sunshine, helps to balance out estrogen dominance in males. It is also a great product for older men that are lacking virility and vitality. It also helps with depression.
- Using a low dosage natural progesterone cream such as Pro-G-Yam 5 mg. is also effective. Men who have a chest that becomes "breast-like" due to estrogen dominance can benefit from using natural progesterone.
Another health concern for men is Peyronie's Disease, which is a circulation disorder of the penis that causes deteroriation of the penis shaft. This condition is typically found in men over 55 and can affect 1 to 3 men out of 100. Symptoms include pain with erection, indentation or bending of the penis as well as areas of plaque or hardened tissue.
Natural Remedies for Peyronie's Disease
- A very effective natural therapy for Peyronie's if caught in the early stages of the disease is to mix 10% Ylang Ylang Essential Oil with 90% of a carrier oil such as Olive Oil. Apply this to the penis every time you go to the bathroom. This will help to stimulate circulation to the area.
- Flax Seed Oil is also beneficial as it thins the blood and improves circulation.
- Herbs such as Garlic and Capsicum also improve circulation.