Natural Treatments for Shingles - Home Remedies and Cures
A viral infection which is caused by a virus varicella-zoster, the same virus which causes chicken pox is known as shingles. Any person, who had chicken pox, is not cleared completely from the body. It lives in the nervous system and after many years later the virus which had become dormant in the nerve tissue reactivates and result into shingles. Usually the person with weak immune system and between the age group of 60-80 years suffers from this problem. It is just like rash. The virus of shingles also reactivates due to emotional stress, immune deficiency like chemotherapy or AIDS, any person suffering from cancer. The exact cause in many cases is yet to be found but the person suffering from chickenpox is at higher risk. Medically shingle is termed as Herpes zoster.
Some of the important symptoms of shingles are severe burning pain, sensitive skin, rash with small blisters with red base. Usually it takes three to four weeks from start to finish but sometimes a person may feel pain occasionally even if the blister is present or not.
Shingles is contagious also. It can be spread from affected person to adults or children. But instead of developing shingles they develop chickenpox.
Besides giving natural treatments it is also necessary to consult physician as soon as possible in order to reduce the complications or shorten the infection if you think you are suffering from shingles. You must consult immediately some physician if rash appears near the area of eye because it may result into permanent or temporary loss of vision. Some of the natural treatments for shingles:
1. Pancreas produces proteolytic enzymes which are naturally produced and help in the digestion of protein we eat. These enzymes are also available in certain foods like pineapple, papaya and it is also available from animal pancreas. Supplements derived from these things are available in some grocery, drug stores, in health food stores and can be found online. There are some side effects also with these enzymes like digestive upset and allergic reactions.
2. The area affected by shingles must be kept clean and dry.
3. Pain caused due to shingles may be reduced by applying wet, cool compresses.
4. It is very necessary for the patient suffering from shingles to take plenty of rest.
5. Acupuncture is also very helpful to overcome from this problem of shingles.
6. Application of peppermint oil or geranium oil over the affected area regularly may reduce the problem of shingles.