Natural Remedies for High Cholesterol, Causes and Symptoms
Cholesterol is essential for the body to produce healthy cells and some vital hormones. These are fatty deposits present in the blood vessels. But over deposition of fat or high cholesterol also known as Hypercholesterolemia restricts the flow of blood due to narrowing of the space in blood vessels and decreasing the oxygen content of the blood, leading to serious health conditions which can be fatal. Person having high level of cholesterol faces high blood pressure, high risk of heart attacks and stroke. 1 out o 3 persons in modern age have high cholesterol deposits running higher risks of coronary diseases, if not controlled at desired levels.
LDL cholesterol (termed as bad cholesterol) and HDL cholesterol (termed as good cholesterol) are the two types under which cholesterol can be categorized. It is desirable to reduce the bad cholesterol and increase the good cholesterol.
There are no particular symptoms of high blood cholesterol but often high blood pressure, coronary disease and other heart diseases are the outcome of this high cholesterol level.
A High cholesterol level in blood is another consequence of modern sedentary life style in tune with faulty and unhealthy eating habits. Other causes can be -
1. Obesity leading to higher levels of bad cholesterol and triglycerides.
3. Age and sex, women generally develop high cholesterol levels after menopause surpassing the cholesterol levels of men of the same age.
4. Excessive smoking and drinking.
5. Stress and tension.
6. Some types of medication.
High blood cholesterol can be brought down within tolerable levels if a person is aware of the disease and follow simple curing steps with religious regularity, except for certain age levels where medical intervention is necessary.
1. Drinking plenty of water at least 8-10 glasses per day cures the person.
2. Avoiding fat rich foods (containing saturated fatty acids), lowering the intake of carbohydrates, processed food, dairy products lowers the cholesterol levels.
3. Increased amount of fiber rich foods, fruits, vegetables, whole grains, cereals in the diet lowers the blood cholesterol levels.
4. Food must be cooked in sunflower oil or rice bran oil.
5. Taking raw onion or onion juice helps in lowering blood cholesterol.
6. Garlic has also been a great natural cure in lowering blood cholesterol.
7. Nuts like almonds and walnuts if taken regularly lower blood cholesterol.
8. Red yeast rice is good natural way to control blood cholesterol levels.
9. Fruits rich in Vitamin C are effective in lowering the blood cholesterol.
High blood cholesterol can pose real threat to the life if undiagnosed and untreated for a long time. Regular blood tests after certain age and some changes in the life style is necessary like avoiding smoking and drinking and adopting some physical regime, for a better heart and a blessed life.