How to Socialize Like the Rich and Famous in 12 Easy Steps
Everyone has to learn how to socialize. No man is an island, the saying goes. We human beings all need someone to talk to and interact with. We have to know how to socialize. To become a sociable person, one must be naturally friendly. However, not all of us are born with this trait. The good thing is, we can practice and learn to be sociable and join the in-crowd.
The following are some guidelines and steps on how to
1. Be natural in your actions. The worst type of person that people dislike are the phonies. Do not be afraid to show the true you. Your opinions and ideas are as good as those of anyone else. Do not pretend to be someone you are not. Someone could blow your cover, which would be very humiliating. Be yourself.
2. Have a good sense of humor. The world has a lot of problems, which is why people would generally appreciate it if you could make them laugh once in a while. Remember, laughter is the best medicine. Who knows you might be instrumental in healing someone. Maybe you should take the career of a stand up comedian (though even such professionals have their serious moments as well.)
3. Listen. Listening always marks the beginning of understanding and also the beginning of friendship. Sincerely listen to what the other person is saying and pick up the thread from there. Anyone can detect someone who is not really listening.
4. Always use an open-ended sentence or comment. This will give the other person a chance to share his ideas. It is also a help for those who are having difficulty joining the conversation.
5. Be sensitive to the feelings of others. There are some topics that may offend other people in the group. Take the smart route in shifting topics. It is wise to think first before we open our mouth. In case we have accidentally hurt the feelings of another person, always be quick to apologize.
6. Avoid being prejudiced. The usual problem is that we are prejudiced about the age of other people. Include the elderly and much younger people in your list of friends or your social group. The older people have the rich experience and knowledge about various things in this world that could help you later in your career or in your life.
7. Smile often. A smile is contagious and if you mix a friendly hello with it, you are sure to win a friend.
8. Think positive, even if not everyone is as serious as you are in making friends and acquaintances. If you meet with rejection, move on - the world has lots of friendly people.
9. Avoid the frequent use of the word I. Once you hear the word I coming from you too often, be quick to shift the topic to the other person. That would show your genuine interest in others.
10. Be confident. Know and accept who you are. Value yourself and in the process you will earn respect from other people.
11. Get out. Take the first step to meet other people. Attend gatherings or social functions. There you will meet people from all walks of life. Do not be confined in your small circle. Take advantage of the variety of people you could possibly meet. In that way, you can practice sharing and exchanging knowledge.
12. Keep abreast with current events. Having nothing to talk about is the worst thing that can happen to you in a group or during a conversation. So keep yourself updated, it will always come in handy.
Charisma, they say, is something you are born with. But there is hope for those who are not gifted with natural charisma. Practice and sincerity are the keys to mastering socialization. Knowing how to socialize would make initial difficulty in socializing a thing of the past but before long you'll be having as much fun as the rich and famous.