Home Remedies for Mouth Ulcers
A painful sore that is usually red with a white coating appearing inside the mouth is a mouth ulcer or canker sore. These sores can appear in different parts of the mouth; inside the lips, inside cheeks, on the gum or under the tongue. They differ from fever blisters/cold sores in that fever blisters are usually on the outside of the lips also they are not contagious.
Causes of Mouth Ulcers:
Virus is not the cause of a canker sore, but an allergy to a specific bacteria found in the mouth may be the cause, or may simply be an allergic reaction to certain kinds of food. An immune system not working correctly may trigger the sores, but they are not connected to any disease. Some studies have found nutritional deficiencies can cause canker sores, such as vitamin B12, folic acid and iron. Persons with gastrointestinal problems sometimes have reoccurring canker sores, due to their digestive problems.
1 Wrong diet
2 Digestive problems such as constipation
3 Hormonal imbalances, especially during puberty in girls
5 Constant stress
6 Hereditary factors
7 Infection of the herpes simplex virus
8 Irritation by some chemicals, tobacco and alcohol
Treatment for Mouth Ulcers:
1. Grind the leaves of the Indian plum (jambula). Exude their paste in water and gargle with this water. It will give immediate relief from the pains of the mouth ulcers.
2. Gargling with the water of the adulsa (Justicia adhadota) also brings about an immediate relief from the mouth ulcer pains.
3. Mix the peel of a lemon with white catechu. Grind them into a very fine paste. Apply this directly on the ulcer. The ulcer will get treated almost immediately.
4. Take two to three leaves of the guava tree and some catechu. Chomp them together. This will cure even the most persistent of ulcers within a few days.
5. Mix some catechu in water till it gets a pasty consistency. Apply this paste on the ulcers.
6. Mix a ripe banana in curds that have been prepared from cow's milk. Eat this as a dessert.
7. When ulcers occur in the mouth, hot and spicy food must be stopped immediately.
8. Consuming more greens in the diet helps to be ever-protected from ulcers. Greens also provide the necessary fiber for the movement of bowels. This prevents constipation.
9. Papaya is a very good fruit to be consumed when you have mouth ulcers.
10. A decoction of the bark of the banyan tree reduces the pain caused by mouth ulcers.
11. The chebulic myrobalan is a component of the Triphala choorna, of which the amalaki is also an essential component.
12. Fenugreek leaves help in the treatment of mouth ulcers. An infusion of these leaves is used for gargling.
13. Henna is a cooling herb. It can provide a soothing effect on the ulcers
14. The Indian gooseberry or amalaki has a dual effect on ulcers.
15. Kattha is an extract of the Acacia catechu plant, known commonly in the west as the catechu plant.
16. Turmeric is also a cooling agent. It helps in relieving mouth ulcers.