Get Rid of Skin Tags With Effective Home Remedies
Skin tag is a growth of skin and looks like a small piece of skin hanging from a narrow stalk. It is also known as Acrochordon. They can occur almost anywhere, but the most common places are the neck, face, underarms, eyelids, breasts and groin. They occur in places of friction and rubbing usually. The size may vary from being tiny or as big as the size of a grape.
It is common in men and women, mostly in adulthood. They are harmless and are benign. They are not cancerous and do not become cancerous if left untreated. A tag becoming cancerous is very rare. They are quite harmless and small ones fall off on their own in some cases. It is not contagious, so does not spread from one person to another by contact. They do not cause any physical pain unless rubbed by clothing or jewellery.
The cause of the growth of a tag could be genetic. If someone close in your family has it, it is likely for you to also have it. It occurs mostly due to rubbing and friction on skin therefore overweight people are prone to having this skin condition due to the skin folds. In pregnancy, the hormone levels increase, making a pregnant woman also prone to this condition. The use of illegal steroids increases the chances of getting tags.
The symptoms are formation of flesh hanging, usually near the eyes, groin or skin folds. There is no pain but rubbing may cause irritation. Apart from causing an unsightly appearance, they do no harm. They can be flesh coloured and some a little darker brown color. The surface may be smooth or irregular, they can occur on the body in clusters too. Tags can be removed by freezing, surgery, cauterizing or burning. Cutting off the blood supply to the tag, makes it fall off. Some may leave behind small marks.
The home remedies for skin tags are known to help get rid of them. However care should be taken not to apply things near the eyes. Some of the home remedies for skin tags are given below.
1. Vinegar: Apple cider vinegar is used. Soak cotton ball in apple cider vinegar and apply on it. Be careful not to apply near the eyes.
2. Aspirin: Dissolve the aspirin in little water and apply.
3. Potato: Cut a fresh potato and put the slice on it. Seal it with a band aid.
4. Castor Oil: Mix castor oil with little baking soda to form a paste. Apply this.
5. Garlic: Crush garlic and put on the affected area. Seal with a tape. Repeat for 2 days. Do not continue this for long, as it may cause burns.
6. Tea Tree Oil: Dip a cotton ball in tea tree oil and apply. It helps to dry it out and fall.
7. Bloodroot: Make a paste and apply. It helps to remove the skin tag, but may leave marks. One has to be very careful using Bloodroot as it can damage the skin. It should NOT be taken internally, as it can be poisonous.
8. Vitamin E: Break a capsule of vitamin E and apply. Seal with a tape or band aid.
Often this condition is confused with others like moles and warts. One should be sure of the nature of it. Tags do not ooze any discharge. Avoid cosmetics near the eye if you have tags there. Eat healthy food and avoid junk food and increase intake of vitamin E and zinc in your diet. Drink lots of water everyday to keep your body system clean.