Best Outdoor Lighting for Summer BBQs
One of the most wonderful things about summertime is that the sunlight stays out longer for us to enjoy it. That's one of the reasons that summer barbecues are so popular. You can start dinner outside in the evening and still have plenty of time left to enjoy it before the sun goes down. If your barbecue is a good one, though, the party will still be going as the fireflies begin to come out. You don't want to have to end a great barbecue just because the hour is getting late. That's why it's important to make sure that you have good outdoor lighting for summer. The first thing that you will want to do is to consider updating your outdoor lighting to suit both the mood of a barbecue and the style of your home. Some great summer options for updating outdoor lighting include:
- Outdoor hanging lanterns. These lanterns will beautifully light up your outdoor seating area all year long. They add a gorgeous glow that enhances the spirited mood of your barbecue.
- Pathway lights. You don't want the latecomers to the barbecue to trip over themselves when they arrive. You also don't want to shock them with your usual bright outdoor lights. Add some modern, fashionable pathway lights to the arrival area for your guests.
- Deck lights. If you have an outdoor deck for your summer barbecue then small LED deck lights are a must-have. They provide an energy-efficient way to keep the area safely lit without making it too bright for you to enjoy.
In addition to these more permanent changes, you will want to get some temporary outdoor lighting just for your summer barbecues. Top choices for temporary lighting include:
- LED rope lights. These are simple to add to any area of the yard to bring in a little bit of light as the sun starts to go down. They are affordable and theyÃÂ¢âÂ¬âÂ¢re eco-conscious.
- String lights. A string of party lights is always festive for summer gatherings. They add a fun ambience to the party even before theyÃÂ¢âÂ¬âÂ¢re lit!
Although choosing the right light fixtures is important, that's not all that you need to know about lighting your summer barbecue. Some other tips to keep in mind include:
- Colored lights can be installed in your existing light fixtures. This gives a nice party glow to the yard without costing a lot of money.
- Subtle lights are always better for summer barbecues. Your guests are going to enjoy the slow sunset as they dine. They don't want to be accosted by bright lights when the sun goes down. Use subtle indirect lighting outdoors for barbecues.
- Bright lights may be appropriate for outdoor games. The one exception to the aforementioned rule is when you have kids playing badminton, Frisbee or some other summer sport in the yard. In this case, bright directional lighting facing the games area is a good option.
- Take advantage of garden lights to highlight key areas of your landscape. If you have a yard that you are proud of then make sure that your guests see it. Subtle lanterns and garden lighting are great for making your prize areas stand out.
Summer barbecues are all about the mood of the party. Many things will set that mood but rest assured that lighting is going to be one of them!