Asthma | Treatments for Asthma
One aspect of asthma alternative medication that you might want to look into is home remedies. The home remedies for asthma can offer both relief during attacks and can work well along with your medication in managing your condition. But always remember that during attacks your primary medication would be your inhaler, the home remedies for asthma attacks should only be used in cases of emergencies where access to rescue/relief medication is limited.
Below is a brief overview of some of the most important asthma home remedies people use to:
decrease the frequency of asthma attacks
reduce the severity of attacks
eliminate asthma attacks
possibly even live asthma-free forever
Hygiene is thought to have an effect on asthma as well, but not in any way you would think. Increases in hygiene in the last century have prevented many infections, especially among children. It is theorized that some of those infections may have been important to developing immune systems and if they are not dealt with at a young age they can come back with a vengeance at an older age. This is why children are subjected to the chicken pox at a young age. If it is contracted at an older age it can be life threatening. Allergies that may not have ever surfaced in a dirtier world can come back and cause asthma today.
An asthma patient must select foods, which help contain the amount of phlegm in the body. For breakfast he should take food like orange, tomato, papaya, guava, mango and rose apple and vegetables like carrots. His dinner and lunch should consist of boiled vegetables. His bath is recommended in the morning and evening to perk up his digestive powers. Taking a walk is also recommended, if jogging is beyond the capacity o the patient.
Asthma, particularly when its attack is severe, tends to destroy the appetite of the patient. He should not be forced to eat. He should keep fasting till the attack is over. The only thing he should take is a cup of warm water every two hours. An enema taken at that time would be doubly beneficial. If this regimen is followed, the attack will not last for more than 36 hours and its virulence in case of a recurrence would be very much less.
Here are some of the common natural asthma remedies that most people use:
1. Fish oil products - this kind of remedy is used as an anti-inflammatory product. It can be taken in capsule or liquid form. However, be extra careful in taking this kind of remedy since it may cause some severe and significant reactions in the body.
2. Magnesium Supplements - this natural remedy works great with the body muscles when it comes to prevention of muscle tightening and increase in relaxation within the air passage ways.
3. Antioxidants - this remedy of selenium, Vitamin E, green tea supplements and other products helps minimize the free roots within the body system. The free roots are the usual causes of coughs, colds and other problems related to respiratory problems since it increases irritation.
4. Cloves, Thyme, Spearmint, Rosemary and Chamomile - this remedy contains antioxidants that do not increase the relaxation of the muscle but induces sleep. Mixtures of these remedies are now available in most health food stores in forms of capsules, powders or teas.
5. Licorice and Ginseng - these herbs are often used in Asia for natural asthma remedy. If taken consistently, it will work effectively for the longest time.
Medicated asthma treatment can cause depression, mood swings, aggression, irritability and insomnia. To the parents out there with children suffering with asthma, I'm sure you don't want your child growing up with these effects. There's also one more side effect that is considered rare which is "steroid psychosis". They say this is not as common with inhalers and nasal sprays (1 in 10,000, Pretty common to me!) but more common in oral steroid pills such as prednisone. Just to note that aggressive reactions can also include suicidal or homicidal thoughts or actions. Examples of steroid asthma inhalers are Pulmicort, Flovent and Advair. Examples of steroid nasal sprays are Nasonex, Nasacort, Rhinocort and Flonase.