5 Top Reasons Why you Should Stage your Vacant Home in Orlando, Central Florida - and Elsewhere!
Are you sitting on the fence with vacant property to sell - trying to determine whether or not to take the plunge and invest in home staging? You are not alone. As a professional Home Stager serving the Orlando and Central Florida areas, I can tell you that I meet with people daily who are struggling with this same question. Let me give you five of the top reasons why I tell them it's one of the best investments they could possibly make in what is now widely considered to be a highly competitive "buyers market."
1. Today's buyer is shopping the internet FIRST - Statictics have shown that 85% of buyers are starting the home buying process by surfing the net before even contacting a realtor. And because many of the photographs are so poor on the MLS listings, there are great homes that are not even being seen physically. Needless to say, a large number of the homes that fall into this category are vacant. How well do you think they compete with pictures of rooms that have been beautifully staged?
2. Today's buyer is no longer just searching for a place to live - they are searching for a home that will provide a lifestyle! They want to see themselves living there, raising their family there, entertaining friends there. You want them to make that very important emotional connection with the home that tells them, "this is it, this is the one!" It is difficult when what they are looking at are bare walls and empty rooms which lack the warmth and personality of the homes that have been stylishly furnished.
3. Only 10% of Home Buyers can actually visualize the potential of a vacant home - which means nine out of every ten people that do come through the doors really cannot. They have not been given a frame of reference to show them the scale and size of the rooms. . . where they would put their sofa and entertainment center . . . if their king size bed would even fit in the Master Bedroom . . . and , how would they furnish that odd little room off the Kitchen. Is it supposed to be an office, another family room . . . guest room, what?! All they can see are bare walls. Most cannot imagine all of the wonderful posssibilities of the home, and without answers to their questions, they walk away. This is something production homebuilders have known for many years, and P.S. - this is why they have elected to make the investment to show their model homes fully furnished!
4. When a home is vacant, buyers focus on the negatives - They have nothing else to look at so their eyes will zero in on the negatives i.e. the small crack in the wall, the tile that is chipped, the carpeting that needs to be replaced, or the wallcovering in the Master Bathroom that they really don't like. Home Staging is designed to accentuate the positive features of the home while de-emphasizing the negatives.
5. Vacant homes statistically stay on the market longer than a home that has been staged -and will send out a distress signal . . . suggesting to buyers that you, the sellers, have moved on and are going to be desperate to sell. Invariably, this will result in receiving lower offers. It is certainly better to price your home attractively, and give the appearance of occupancy. Statistically, homes that have been staged sell more quickly, and for top dollar!